Pasta may be an acquired taste for Indians but we just love to indulge in it whenever we get a chance. Over the years, I have seen that most Indians prefer pasta in red sauce than white. I am no exception. I’m not quite sure about the reason but what strikes me is that red sauce pasta is closer to the spicy Indian gravies and more than anything else, the red colour makes all the difference. Since white gravy or sauce is often associated with a bland taste, people prefer the red version over it. This is just my hypothesis; the reason may vary from person to person.
Here goes the recipe for mushroom pasta in creamy red sauce.
- Fusilli pasta – 1 cup (cooked as per instructions on the pack)
- Button mushrooms – 1 cup (cleaned and diced)
- Garlic – 5-6 pods (chopped)
- Onion – 1 (chopped)
- Tomato puree – 1 ½ cups
- Salt as per taste
- Crushed black pepper – 1tsp
- Mixed dried herbs – 1tsp
- Cheese – ½ cup (grated)
- Cream – ½ cup
- Olive oil – 1tbsp
1) Heat olive oil in a pan and add garlic. Sauté for a minute.
2) Add onion and fry until it turns translucent. Add the mushrooms and saute for 4-5 minutes.
3) Mix in the tomato puree, crushed black pepper, salt, dried herbs and cook for 4-5 minutes.
4) Add in the cooked pasta and grated cheese. Check the seasoning and cook for another 5-6 minutes.
5) Mix all the contents together and switch off the flame. Add in the cream and mix well. Keep it covered for 5 minutes.
6) Garnish with more dried herbs and serve hot.